Next up, exploration of volume in baby steps… Because the cool kids are doing it? (You know – effortless, confident, got it & don’t need to flaunt it.) Or maybe because it’s getting too hot for a tight-fitting hug. Or just because too many tears were shed when I had to say bye to me-mades that no longer fit.
Anyway, as usual for me, my first attempt didn’t quite go as planned.
It was a case of being seduced by 3/4-view editorial shot. I did have my doubts that full frontal wouldn’t look as good. But nothing ventured nothing gained. This looked like it could be just a tad more interesting than the bog standard loose v-neck top – what with the lantern sleeves (in the photo at least).
Style Shots & Mug Shots
WORN WITH: 3 TopShop skirt; 4 Self-drafted lace skirt;
Going by sizing chart I would be 34/36. But I graded down to size 30/32. Because I didn’t Believe. Too chicken to go full on kabuki-size.
based on comparison to Tunic Block
- Shorten bodice above bust (so front neckline won’t be indecent!)
- Narrow sleeves & lengthen sleeve seams
Not sure if these changes qualify entirely as fitting changes given that it’s suppose to be a boxy fit…but I do know I’m short-waisted, plus there’s no way the front neckline would end above the bust like in the pattern photo if I didn’t make these changes.
I tried it on just before hemming & the mirror said No. I just couldn’t carry off the boxy style. The clingy fabric probably didn’t help. To salvage this I made the following changes…
- Sleeve hems: added inverted pleats.
- Shoulders: added pleats to narrow the shoulders & add a little bit more volume to the sleeve heads.
- Added lining to bodice below the yokes.
Tried it on again. Still no good. I’m not liking the horizontal emphasis at the waist created by sleeves and bodice that are about the same lengths. Fishing scraps out of the recycling bag I added another change…
- Added as much asymmetric extension to the bodice hem as the scraps would afford me.
Still a bit meh but good enough to wear out.
Fabric & Notions Used
- Fabric: Raw Silk Gauze from the Stash
- Lining: Silk Habutai from one of the London Goldhawk Road fabric shops
- Notions: Vilene Bias Tape back neckline & shoulder stablisation. Interfacing from the Stash for front facing.
- …alas too long ago for me to remember…
I was going to write this one-off. But months & many wears later, I’m beginning to think it’s a keeper. It is mostly comfy & a tad more interesting than a bog standard boxy T.
Nonetheless the quest for more hot-flash-friendly loose but hip clothing continues…